• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is It The 1080 TI The Best GPU Ever?

Is It The 1080 TI The Best GPU Ever?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A few memorable cards of their time for me personally, either for outright crazy performance at the time, or value offered, special mention for efficiency.
  • GeForce 4 Ti 4200 - value and performance
  • Radeon 9700/9800 Pro - value and performance
  • GeForce 6800 Ultra - performance - this is my personal favorite GPU of all time, such a rich story to be told in that era
  • GeForce 6600GT - value
  • GeForce 8800 GTX/GT - performance / value
  • Radeon 4870 - value and performance
  • Radeon 5870 - value and performance
  • GeForce GTX 460 - value
  • GeForce GTX 750Ti - efficiency
  • GeForce GTX 970 - value
  • GeForce GTX 1080/Ti - performance and efficiency
  • GeForce GTX 1060 - value
  • GeForce RTX 3080 - value and performance (for those few who got it at launch at MSRP like me)
  • GeForce RTX 4090 - performance

It's totally subjective, but I mostly like this list and it highlights especially recent sad tendency with every next generation being harder to find value in anything other than top products (btw tending to last well for longer and longer) and value in general shifting toward scaling with raising prices, so total upselling. Or more like let's make the best flagship as we can and then add more and more dissapointments with every other model going down - to the point it's hard to imagine arrival of next rock solid midrange card with potential to became legendary like e.g. 1060. The worse is tendency already lasts for years (imo last solid lower-end offerings were 970, 1060 or 16XX Super cards), so it doesn't look like Nvidia and rest experimenting with offer obviously unattractive for us, but such selling well...

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop, Corsair ML/LL fans
Memory 48GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF 10GB @ +150/700
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
It's totally subjective, but I mostly like this list and it highlights especially recent sad tendency with every next generation being harder to find value in anything other than top products (btw tending to last well for longer and longer) and value in general shifting toward scaling with raising prices, so total upselling. Or more like let's make the best flagship as we can and then add more and more dissapointments with every other model going down - to the point it's hard to imagine arrival of next rock solid midrange card with potential to became legendary like e.g. 1060. The worse is tendency already lasts for years (imo last solid lower-end offerings were 970, 1060 or 16XX Super cards), so it doesn't look like Nvidia and rest experimenting with offer obviously unattractive for us, but such selling well...
2060 would've been an okay card with a lower price tag as well.

2060 would've been an okay card with a lower price tag as well.

I agree, but price bump and no VRAM uplift imo makes it not worthy successor of 1060. It's exactly the thing - we just don't get anymore in lower end of the stack cards being value performance-wise and overally solid, so without mentioned dissapointments like feeling low on VRAM, having insultingly narrow bus or cut-down PCIe. Cheap or heavily discounted Radeons used to be something recently, but sadly mostly as an answer to Nvidia's offer. Not AMD being nice guys giving you nice cards, but only ones seeming a little better than what Nvidia has proposed first. And I personally find a turn off lack of DLSS and RT capabilities no matter what range of cards we talk about.