• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ChatGPT Comes to Desktop with OpenAI's Latest GPT-4o Model That Talks With Users

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
At OpenAI's spring update, a lot of eyes were fixed on the company, which spurred the AI boom with the ChatGPT application. Now being almost a must-have app for consumers and prosumers alike, ChatGPT is a de-facto application for the latest AI innovation, backed by researchers and scientists from OpenAI. Today, OpenAI announced a new model called GPT-4o (Omni), which hopes to bring advanced intelligence, improved overall capabilities, and real-time voice interaction with users. Now, the ChatGPT application wants to become like a personal assistant that actively communicates with users and provides much broader capabilities. OpenAI claims that it can respond to audio inputs as quickly as 232 milliseconds, with an average of 320 milliseconds, similar to human response time in conversations.

However, OpenAI states that it wants ChatGPT's latest GPT-4o model to be available to the free, Plus, and Team paid subscribers, where paid subscribers get 5x higher usage and early access to the model. Interestingly, the GPT-4o model is much improved across a variety of standard benchmarks like MMLU, Math, HumanEval, GPQA, and others, where it now surpasses almost all models except Claude 3 Opus in MGSM. It now understands more than 50 languages and can do real time translation. In addition to the new model, OpenAI announced that they are launching a desktop ChatGPT app, which can act as a personal assistant and see what is happening on the screen, but it is only allowed by user command. This is supposed to bring a much more refined user experience and enable users to use AI as a third person to help understand the screen's content. Initially only available on macOS, we are waiting for OpenAI to launch the Windows ChatGPT application so everyone can also experience the new technology.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Interesting, I'll be downloading this for my Mac mini at some point soon. I'll create a new non-admin user account, log in and run it from there. No chance in hell I'd use it on my regular login initially.

There are rumors that Apple and OpenAI have inked a deal to bring better AI integration to Apple's upcoming operating systems (to be previewed next month at Apple WWDC). Perhaps that's why they are offering on Macs first.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-36
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Give it 2-3 more years, the world economies are going to crash. All these little middle class jobs that everyone knows AI could be doing are going to vanish, and already are.

Maybe if government was competent and offered free degrees in high demand areas only, for anyone, then we might be able to pull ourselves out of the future collapse, but only free for degrees in demand - with strict requirements like keeping a B average the entire time, etc.

give people economic mobility - and the world would be much better off.

or this could be a thing, I don't know. I wonder if UBI would make it so plumbers and electricians would just quit their jobs and society would deteriorate, or would they be greedy enough to keep wanting more and more money on top of the UBI? let the experimenting begin!

Last edited:

NukeySMK

The implication of current, quote, "AI" technologies being interwoven into our current socio-economic system is not a reflection of technicality IMHO.
The baseline isn't the introduction of ChatGPT itself nor the technology underpinning it, as I see it. The baseline is the first step towards AGI (which has been clearly stated by many companies pursuing AGI, including OpenAI). And the end result will be complete integration of multiple systems specifically designed to facilitate specific tasks with reasoning. Defining the reasoning depends on a lot more than just the code or trained LLM. It is coming though. Sooner than we probably care to believe.

The problem as always is bringing the technology to a place in the market(s) with known and unknown application, vying for relevance in every way possible (broad scope, not focused), and essentially dumping it into people's hands and asking them to integrate it how they see fit. Which is to say, nothing out of the ordinary for technology circa 1980 (really picked up steam in the 90's) and onward.

So for the short term, we get this displacement in areas unintended (or perhaps intended by some), we tend to forego the focused vision (it may help some folks but isn't being used nor interacted with by all) and instead deploy broadly, and then down the road patch up the framework that we broke along the way. You can find this application of new technology into society very easily in recent history.

We seem to be wanting to move away from classical forms of living, accustomed to life as it is or was and instead looking forward for ways to make it happen sooner. The problem is that this affects everyone directly but doesn't benefit everyone directly. Due to economic forces and this particular kind of technological transition as a whole, we end up with apps for everything. It's appalling in the short term but in the end once we 'patch up the framework' and the technology matures enough to directly benefit everyone, it'll be a tumultuous road ahead in the short term.

As an example of what I mean - digital currencies via blockchain technology isn't the bees knees - it's the blockchain underlying that presents the real technological breakthrough, but takes eons (in relative implementation) to be institutionalized.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Somehow I don't see AI being able to change bedsheets or scrub toilets anytime in the next couple of years. I'd be all over that. They could fold laundry, put dishes away, weed my garden, take the kitchen scraps bag to the compost bin, wash my car, great.

And AI still doesn't really know how to do anything artistic, like paint, write music, etc. Maybe someday AI will write something as good as Mozart's overture to "Don Giovanni" but I'm not going to hold my breath. It might be able to write filler music for some videogame cutscene.

But for sure, the world isn't going to change in two years. Some things will change more rapidly than others. AI deployment will be ahead of the curve in enterprise situations but AI isn't going to serve you a better grilled chicken sandwich any faster anytime soon.

Could AI pick my fantasy sports team roster? My guess is a handful of clever people are already doing this to their advantage. No reason for them to mention it at this time when they have a competitive advantage. Heh heh.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Somehow I don't see AI being able to change bedsheets or scrub toilets anytime in the next couple of years. I'd be all over that. They could fold laundry, put dishes away, weed my garden, take the kitchen scraps bag to the compost bin, great.

And AI still doesn't really know how to do anything artistic, like paint, write music, etc. Maybe someday AI will write something as good as Mozart's overture to "Don Giovanni" but I'm not going to hold my breath. It might be able to write filler music for some videogame cutscene.

But for sure, the world isn't going to change in 2 years.

those jobs aren't the middle class, those jobs you live 4-6 people to a single house cause they don't pay enough.

once the middle class jobs fall the economy falls.

NukeySMK

Somehow I don't see AI being able to change bedsheets or scrub toilets anytime in the next couple of years. I'd be all over that. They could fold laundry, put dishes away, weed my garden, take the kitchen scraps bag to the compost bin, great.

This is exactly what my post is aiming to highlight. Consider if you will all of recent (say last 5 years) technological advancements (a laundry list there is, IMHO) and you can easily connect dots between them.

Coin-size 50+ year batteries
Extremely small scale nuclear reactors
Propellantless Thrust
Robotics breakthroughs (near endless IIRC, since roughly 2000)
And on and on and on...

Pair them all together and.. voila ... AGI (once reasoning is figured more maturely) will be a real thing.

Case Apple proprietary
People will find something else to do. At least right now, people have to tell AI what to do and to double check its accuracy.

You can't just say "do my job for me and text me when you're done so I can stop watching cat videos and go home."

Right now AI is mostly good at speeding up really repetitive online or computer-based tasks.

Give it 2-3 more years, the world economies are going to crash. All these little middle class jobs that everyone knows AI could be doing are going to vanish, and already are.

Maybe if government was competent and offered free degrees in high demand areas only, for anyone, then we might be able to pull ourselves out of the future collapse, but only free for degrees in demand - with strict requirements like keeping a B average the entire time, etc.

give people economic mobility - and the world would be much better off.

or this could be a thing, I don't know. I wonder if UBI would make it so plumbers and electricians would just quit their jobs and society would deteriorate, or would they be greedy enough to keep wanting more and more money on top of the UBI? let the experimenting begin!
Learn to code. ;)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Learn to code. ;)

I'm pretty sure some offline closed door models not open to public are going to be doing that perfectly in 2-3 years from now too. It will be 20 AI coders and one irl human coder supervisor.

IBM won't care, they already stated as much that AI will be taking over the workforce, its def coming for most middle class jobs.

Case Apple proprietary
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
This is Apple's trick to get ppl to upgrade their phones, smh. Part of this news is that they are making a deal to put it on their phones necessitating... new chips thus new phones. What a shocker!

I'm pretty sure some offline closed door models not open to public are going to be doing that perfectly in 2-3 years from now too. It will be 20 AI coders and one irl human coder supervisor.

IBM won't care, they already stated as much that AI will be taking over the workforce, its def coming for most middle class jobs.
The tech industry is going to be hit the hardest by AI as it's already showing. Some of us call that karma.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
The tech industry is going to be hit the hardest by AI as it's already showing. Some of us call that karma.

It's more irony than karma... but I hope we can turn AI into positive... its going to be one hell of a turbulence ride though when it comes to well how does the middle class pay their bills...

see this video here:

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.

Oh I'm sure they will care since, most of IBM's profits come from redundant IT services rendered to... middle class workers... Servers to run sites to help middle class people find jobs, payrolls, CRMs, Database analytics, Internet Security, Accoutning.... when AI does everything centrally and for cheaper, the hundreds of thousands of redundant IBM servers that everyone needs won't be needed anymore...

AI, as cool as it is doesn't consume anything - and in order to sell things you need consumers.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Oh I'm sure they will care since, most of IBM's profits come from redundant IT services rendered to... middle class workers... Servers to run sites to help middle class people find jobs, payrolls, CRMs, Database analytics, Internet Security, Accoutning.... when AI does everything centrally and for cheaper, the hundreds of thousands of redundant IBM servers that everyone needs won't be needed anymore...

AI, as cool as it is doesn't consume anything - and in order to sell things you need consumers.

IBM CEO already announced on 3-4 different occasions AI is coming for IBM jobs. Don't have time to find them all now, but here is first search results. short term greed won't realize what it has done until its too late.

1715632067260.png

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
IBM CEO already announced on 3-4 different occasions AI is coming for IBM jobs. Don't have time to find them all now, but here is first search results. short term greed won't realize what it has done until its too late.

View attachment 347295
Yea it's happening, unavoidable in some ways. I think it'll balance out as long as there are millions of Optimus bots or the like bringing us into that age of abundance. Right??

No, Jensen says not to:

Of course he gains more by selling AI accelerators to companies who want to reduce the number of programmers on their payroll.

:)
This is great news ^^ I feel for those techies as much as they felt about me and my coworkers when we got laid off in the oil industry and they told us to learn to code.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
This is great news ^^ I feel for those techies as much as they felt about me and my coworkers when we got laid off in the oil industry and they told us to learn to code.

the greatest human weakness and flaw is that we generalize way too much.

you know and I know not every single tech person felt that way, feels that way, or will feel that way. and vice versa.

the world is complicated, the ones who make the most noise get the most attention, sadly, and those people are usually asshats, again, sadly.

we need to figure out a way to move forward, to be resilient, that is in-demand jobs need to be free to train and study for.

the greatest human weakness and flaw is that we generalize way too much.

you know and I know not every single tech person felt that way, feels that way, or will feel that way. and vice versa.

the world is complicated, the ones who make the most noise get the most attention, sadly, and those people are usually asshats, again, sadly.

we need to figure out a way to move forward, to be resilient, that is in-demand jobs need to be free to train and study for.
The tech industries literally pumped tens of millions of dollars in order to screw me and my kind. If I said 80% of the techies were all for that movement I'd probably have guessed low. I hear there's a need for baristas.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
The tech industries literally pumped tens of millions of dollars in order to screw me and my kind. If I said 80% of the techies were all for that movement I'd probably have guessed low. I hear there's a need for baristas.

it's very few people who control the flow of money of that size, so you are still over generalizing.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
i see the word free in there, wonder how much telemetry they're going to sell to offset that.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Can it be my friend too? ;-)
lol, there was a huge fiasco with that ai sexy friend app. Ah can't remember the name... Replika.

it's very few people who control the flow of money of that size, so you are still over generalizing.
No I'm not. If they couldn't screw us directly they donated and/or voted for the people who could and after we got screwed and lost our jobs they laughed and told us to learn to code. The best part of this is that it was techies who created this AI monster and now they're being eaten by their own creation. Let them experience losing their jobs, homes, etc ...