• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Radeon RX 7900 GRE TUF OC

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
He is correct , remove the no DLSS as a negative cause it makes no sense to be there. How can AMD use DLLS exactly?
You're too late to the party, check the rest of the discussion

ARF

I tend to accept that the price set at 550 is okeyish, given that this is the company's largest, most difficult to make (lowest yields ?) and most expensive GPU.
Yes, it has 4 GB of VRAM less than the XT and as much as 8 GB of VRAM less than the XTX, but still...

The shocking part is that nvidia seems to not care - XTX 24GB is 910, while RTX 4080 16GB is 1200-1300 lol what...

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I tend to accept that the price set at 550 is okeyish, given that this is the company's largest, most difficult to make (lowest yields ?) and most expensive GPU.
Yes, it has 4 GB of VRAM less than the XT and as much as 8 GB of VRAM less than the XTX, but still...

The shocking part is that nvidia seems to not care - XTX 24GB is 910, while RTX 4080 16GB is 1200-1300 lol what...
The 4080 (vanilla) doesn't seem to have any real discount since the release of the Super.

I don't keep track of 4080-series pricing much since it's such a pointless card with horrible performance/$ and not enough VRAM to be useful for productivity over far cheaper options - even so, the 4080S is selling for less than the 4080 in the first three places I checked. I'll take that as speculative evidence that nobody in the UK bothered holding much inventory of the 4080 because it sold atrociously and practically nobody ever bought one, meaning zero need to discount current inventory to make room for new product.

The complete lack of any discounts at the 4080-series level just means utter stagnation at this price point. The XTX remains exactly as it did in 2022 at almost the exact same price because despite appearances, the 4080 and XTX don't really compete; The 4080 is what you buy for DLSS, RT and CUDA, the XTX is what you buy if you want higher-framerate with RT disabled or dialled down to console levels.

Another $100 lower down the product stack, the 4070Ti Super showed promise until reviews came out and showed it to be unexpectedly hamstrung by extremely strict power limits. Sure, you pay $100 more for a factory-overclocked version that has those arbitrary power limits removed, but then you should just get a 4080S which will always be faster, even the most locked-down, barebones model. There's just no competition at this price point. Nvidia refuses to compete with itself, and AMD can't offer the RT performance needed for 4K60 Ultra settings.

IMO the GRE/7900XT is as high as you need to go with AMD, and RT really is a feature that has limited value, even as we close in on 6 years of the technology. I played with a 3090, 3080, and 3070 in 2022 and found only the 3090 to offer enough performance to meaningfully enable RT in games from 2020-2022. I've not actually used a 4090 for gaming yet, but the 4070 was so far short of the mark in those RT-heavy 2023 titles like Phantom Liberty with path-tracing or Ratchet and Clank that it proves RT at uncompromised settings will always require a flagship GPU, which has a price tag too high for 99% of buyers to justify the mandatory replacement each and every generation. Even now, that 3090 just doesn't cut it for any meaningful RT-enabled high-resolution gaming any more.

System Name The Phantom in the Black Tower
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X570 Pro4 AM4
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism, 5 x Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm
Memory 64GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3600 CL18 (4×16GB)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC 24GB
Storage WDS500G3X0E (OS), WDS100T2B0C, TM8FP6002T0C101 (x2) and ~40TB of total HDD space
Display(s) Haier 55E5500U 55" 2160p60Hz
Case Ultra U12-40670 Super Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply EVGA 1000 G2 Supernova 1kW 80+Gold-Certified
Mouse Logitech MK320
Keyboard Logitech MK320
VR HMD None
Software Windows 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike Ultra: 19484 Time Spy Extreme: 11006 Port Royal: 16545 SuperPosition 4K Optimised: 23439
The RX 7900 GRE is a great product but I don't really think that the price premium that ASUS cards command is warranted. My RX 7900 XTX is an ASRock Phantom Gaming model, one of the least expensive variants, but it sure doesn't leave any performance on the table.

Paying more just to have a card that says ASUS on it isn't what I call a sound financial decision.

I'd take a less expensive model from XFX, ASRock or Powercolor over an overpriced ASUS model seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

Having said that, cards go on sale all the time and I'm sure that this one will eventually come down in price to match the others.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The RX 7900 GRE is a great product but I don't really think that the price premium that ASUS cards command is warranted. My RX 7900 XTX is an ASRock Phantom Gaming model, one of the least expensive variants, but it sure doesn't leave any performance on the table.

Paying more just to have a card that says ASUS on it isn't what I call a sound financial decision.

I'd take a less expensive model from XFX, ASRock or Powercolor over an overpriced ASUS model seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

Having said that, cards go on sale all the time and I'm sure that this one will eventually come down in price to match the others.
You really can't infer much from brands' individual series names.

By far the worst 30-series RTX cards I encountered were Asus Dual models - 3060 and 3060Ti, yet their "Dual" 3070 was fine, and their Dual 4070 is so good it makes more expensive variants like the TUF and Strix almost pointless.

Given there are about 20 completely different variants of the "Asus Dual" cooler strapped to around 85 different RTX SKUs, it's pretty clear that the model name "dual" is meaningless. Some have been reviewed as garbage-tier coolers with a shortage of heatpipes and cheap extruded alu heatsinks, whilst others are high-end coolers with premium construction, overkill fin stacks and a surplus of cooling. I'm only even looking at Asus' RTX product stack, they make Radeon "Dual" cards too, and their design sometimes bears little resemblance to the Geforce of similar TDP which makes no sense at all because the TDP determines the quality of the VRM and cooler which is 90% of what makes a premium card premium and an entry-level card, entry-level.

My general opinion is that most Asus cards are overpriced but there are enough individual SKUs that buck the trend and are highly competitive to not dismiss Asus as an overpriced brand as a rule.

TL; DR
The quality of a specific sub-brand within a manufacturer's range is meaningless, which means trying to paint a whole manufacturer with the same brush is impossible. You need to looks for reviews of the exact, individual GPU in question. Even a V2 suffix is enough to make it a completely different product.

Thank <deity of choice> for independent journalism and their impartial reviews!

That's the case with every single Asus thing sadly. OLED monitors? Yep, there are others cheaper. Video cards? You know it. Sound cards? Motherboards? They do some great stuff, but they aint double better. That's why the last Asus thing i got was in 2008. If they wanna act like Apple = skippppppp

System Name Blytzen
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Taichi Lite
Cooling Deepcool LS520 (240mm)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Dragon (16 gig)
Storage 2TB Crucial P5 Plus SSD, 80TB spinning rust in a NAS
Display(s) Agon 32" `1080p 144hz, Samsung 32" 4k
Case Coolermaster HAF 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech G733 and no speakers (replacements are under consideration)
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL tactile
Benchmark Scores Squats and calf raises
That's the case with every single Asus thing sadly. OLED monitors? Yep, there are others cheaper. Video cards? You know it. Sound cards? Motherboards? They do some great stuff, but they aint double better. That's why the last Asus thing i got was in 2008. If they wanna act like Apple = skippppppp
Yeah, just look at the flagship AM5 motherboards, more than 4x what I paid for my X370 board (Which was ASUS) and that oled monitor is comical, 20% premium for less features than some models with the same panel. After the warranty debacle they had a little while back they need to wind their necks in a bit.

System Name The Phantom in the Black Tower
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X570 Pro4 AM4
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism, 5 x Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm
Memory 64GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3600 CL18 (4×16GB)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC 24GB
Storage WDS500G3X0E (OS), WDS100T2B0C, TM8FP6002T0C101 (x2) and ~40TB of total HDD space
Display(s) Haier 55E5500U 55" 2160p60Hz
Case Ultra U12-40670 Super Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply EVGA 1000 G2 Supernova 1kW 80+Gold-Certified
Mouse Logitech MK320
Keyboard Logitech MK320
VR HMD None
Software Windows 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike Ultra: 19484 Time Spy Extreme: 11006 Port Royal: 16545 SuperPosition 4K Optimised: 23439
I completely agree and you know it's not like their products are bad, far from it. My craptop is actually an ASUS and I bought it because it was actually the best deal at the time. I got a backlit keyboard and a GTX 1050M for the same price as other craptops that didn't have those features. They were otherwise identical.

It's the same attitude that I have towards GeForce cards. I'll never say that they're not great products (because of course that are), it's just that, at the same price point, a Radeon is almost always faster and usually has more VRAM.

I've been building PCs since 1988 (yeah, I'm old..lol) and the most important thing that I've learnt over the years is to never be a brand-wh0re. This is because, no matter what the brand is, the product was made by companies with years of experience that have employed real professionals. The only brand I refuse to buy is MSi but that's not because I think their stuff is bad, it's because they treated me badly when one of their flagship motherboards died on me (the only motherboard that has ever died on me).

Yeah, just look at the flagship AM5 motherboards, more than 4x what I paid for my X370 board (Which was ASUS) and that oled monitor is comical, 20% premium for less features than some models with the same panel. After the warranty debacle they had a little while back they need to wind their necks in a bit.
I agree completely. That's why my two AM4 boards have been ASRock. It's funny because ASRock boards tend to offer the best value of "The Big Four" (ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte & MSi) yet ASRock began as ASUS' OEM division.

Like you, I also tend to buy X-series boards because I like the extra PCIe and M.2 slots. My first AM4 board was an ASRock X370 Killer SLI and it was fantastic. I replaced it with an ASRock X570 Pro4 because I wanted to try Smart Access Memory. I should've stuck with the X370 because SAM wasn't worth it at the time.

If I were to choose an AM5 motherboard today, it would definitely be the ASRock X670E PG Lightning. It's a full-featured X670E board for less than the others want for normal X670 boards. Steve Walton said it's a great value and recommends it.

You really can't infer much from brands' individual series names.

By far the worst 30-series RTX cards I encountered were Asus Dual models - 3060 and 3060Ti, yet their "Dual" 3070 was fine, and their Dual 4070 is so good it makes more expensive variants like the TUF and Strix almost pointless.

Given there are about 20 completely different variants of the "Asus Dual" cooler strapped to around 85 different RTX SKUs, it's pretty clear that the model name "dual" is meaningless. Some have been reviewed as garbage-tier coolers with a shortage of heatpipes and cheap extruded alu heatsinks, whilst others are high-end coolers with premium construction, overkill fin stacks and a surplus of cooling. I'm only even looking at Asus' RTX product stack, they make Radeon "Dual" cards too, and their design sometimes bears little resemblance to the Geforce of similar TDP which makes no sense at all because the TDP determines the quality of the VRM and cooler which is 90% of what makes a premium card premium and an entry-level card, entry-level.

My general opinion is that most Asus cards are overpriced but there are enough individual SKUs that buck the trend and are highly competitive to not dismiss Asus as an overpriced brand as a rule.

TL; DR
The quality of a specific sub-brand within a manufacturer's range is meaningless, which means trying to paint a whole manufacturer with the same brush is impossible. You need to looks for reviews of the exact, individual GPU in question. Even a V2 suffix is enough to make it a completely different product.

Thank <deity of choice> for independent journalism and their impartial reviews!
I completely agree. I don't care what brand something is. I have a saying that noobs look at brand while experts just look at spec.

Some ASUS stuff is pretty good value (my craptop is proof of that) and most ASUS products are of very good quality. However, I don't think that their motherboards or video cards are superior to ASRock, Gigabyte or MSi. I also don't think that their video cards are better-made than brands like Powercolor, Sapphire, XFX or Yeston. In fact, I would trust those four brand more than ASUS because video cards are their core competencies while ASUS makes so many other things.

System Name Main
Processor Intel Core i9-9900K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 FE
Storage 1x 512GB HP EX920 / 1x 1TB Kingston A2000 / 1x 960GB Sandisk Ultra II / 1x 1TB ADATA SU800
Display(s) LG 34GB850-B / LG 27UD58-B
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB
Audio Device(s) iFi Zen DAC v2 / HiFiMan HE-4xx
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2018)
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Mini
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Please change 'No support for DLSS' in the cons to 'FSR not as good as competing solutions such as DLSS and XeSS.' AMD cannot solve your 'con' because DLSS is a proprietary solution owned by Nvidia. Any attempt for AMD to implement it without permission/license would lead to a lawsuit.

How do you solve a con when it is illegal to do so? You might as well say 'Not an Nvidia card' in the cons column.

It's not about AMD literally adding in Nvidia's DLSS upscaler, but rather that AMD needs to deliver an updated FSR2 with an ML image reconstruction algorithm to properly compete. AMD talked up the new ML capabilities integrated into the architecture of the 7000-series, but has yet to deliver any useful software taking advantage of them.

FSR suffers from all of the problems that Nvidia found and documented while developing their game engine-hooked upscaler that were ultimately solved by that ML image reconstruction. The reconstruction algorithm has advanced to the point it is able to improve the overall image fidelity compared to straight native resolution, whether that's through DLAA running on that native res image, or often times even with upscaling when there's enough render resolution (particularly noticeable at 4K output resolution with DLSS Quality).

Personally I applaud reviewers who choose to bring that up explicitly as a con on products like this, because it's something that often just gets lost in the background noise particularly with talking head YT reviews who gush about a modest raster performance advantage over Nvidia's competing equivalents while glossing over fairly transformative features. Looks like W1zzard already implemented a rewording suggestion from a reader changing it to "FSR not as good as DLSS" which pretty much resolves the complaints with the initial wording entirely.

I'm very curious to know the performance gain from memory OC alone on 7900GRE vs 7800XT given that most GREs come with 18Gbps memory but this TUF comes with faster 20Gbps memory.

System Name The 2020 Christmas superupgrader
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2
Memory 32 GB 3200mhz Silicon Power (2 x 16gb)
Video Card(s) Aorus 5700 XT
Storage 2x Samsung 970 evo plus 500gb
Display(s) XG2431
Case Cooler Master MasterBox MB511
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha
Power Supply AP850GM
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Redragon K614
Software Windows 11
I'm very curious to know the performance gain from memory OC alone on 7900GRE vs 7800XT given that most GREs come with 18Gbps memory but this TUF comes with faster 20Gbps memory.
Same, I wonder how fast GRE is compared to the 7800xt if they have the same memory speed.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Display(s) XG2431
Power Supply AP850GM
Keyboard Redragon K614
Software Windows 11
How is this product considered a but expensive? It's not crazy expensive like the 4080 on launch

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
How is this product considered a but expensive? It's not crazy expensive like the 4080 on launch

600.PNG

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Display(s) XG2431
Power Supply AP850GM
Keyboard Redragon K614
Software Windows 11