• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Announcement: VPN's no longer work right in Windows 10 or 11 or Servers

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Motherboard Asus B650e-F Strix
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory Gskill 32gb 6000 mhz cl30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Case Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi 5.1 Pro + Logitech Z560
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
I enjoy not being remotely hacked :)

Yeah, cause that totally happens to random private individuals...

Sure, corporations are in actual risk of being hacked, but no actual hacker is gonna waste their time trying to hack some average joes pc...

Use a vpn and you're fine... that is unless you run the newest os update... lol...

ir_cow

Staff member
I forgot to mention my 100 BTC :

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte Auros Elite AX V2
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE White
Memory TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon Rx 6800
Storage Fanxiang S660 1TB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 1TB, BraveEagle 240GB SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD
Case Corsair 4000D White
Power Supply Corsair RM750x SHIFT
Uninstalled this update a few hours ago, MF'rs installed it again and asking to restart :mad:

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
If your software is in support you are fine. But a lot of users here are using builds with support dropped or resisting updates. There's the rub.
We've come to expect to be beta testers for every new Windows and the feature updates that follow. We know something is bound to break, and hope that the issues will be small and mostly cosmetic.

Yet we trust Microsoft's security updates to be industrial quality, thoroughly tested products, made by top class software designers and developers, and not opening any new security holes.

Isn't that somewhat irrational?

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
If your software is in support you are fine.
That's not the issue. The issue is the fact that this supported software is breaking things badly. Great, there's a problem, ask Microsoft for help.

It sure helped here. Not.

Microsoft needs to do a better job releasing Patch Tuesday updates that don't cause major problems. Pretty much every Patch Tuesday release breaks something important for someone. Not everything, not everyone, not all at once. But Microsoft simply isn't spending enough effort testing things before release.

THAT is why I wait a couple of weeks before installing Patch Tuesday updates. At my last corporate job, the IT department would install Patch Tuesday updates on test systems and try them out with the company's most used applications BEFORE pushing out the Patch Tuesday updates to employees (which often happened on the weekend following Patch Tuesday).

Because troubleshooting Microsoft's f-ups is A BIG WASTE OF TIME. No one wants that, even if they have support. Support is not the issue. The time wasted on Microsoft's incompetence is the issue. And inconvenience to people who did nothing wrong on their own like employees who rely on their IT staff to install updates.

But a lot of users here are using builds with support dropped or resisting updates. There's the rub.

That makes zero sense. This topic is about a broken Patch Tuesday update that is borking VPN, an important tool used in the corporate world. KB5036893 cannot be installed on unsupported builds. And those who resist updates wouldn't have the problem (just more security vulnerabilities, but at least they can use their VPNs).

And no one can tell just by looking at someone's TPU handle that they are using an unsupported build of Windows.

Whenever I fire up a Windows box, regardless of whether or not it's on my time or on a work clock, there is no benefit for me throwing away my time trying to dig myself out of Microsoft's cesspool. I didn't boot my Windows system to deal with this crap. I booted it to write some e-mails, maybe look at a spreadsheet. Or maybe look at cat videos and play Fortnite. Support or not, KB failures does not help be do any of these things.

Worse, it just erodes user confidence in Microsoft even if the particular failure doesn't affect you directly. It's like a school shooting. Even if no bullets hit you, there's damage done anyhow. That's a rather extreme analogy but Microsoft does not come out ahead if only 30% are affected by snafu versus 35%. It's the continual loss of trust.

Trust is earned and Microsoft is squandering far faster than they are earning it these days.

Last edited:
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Want some UFOs with that tin foil hat there sir?
Yea, I like tin foil AND Ufo's too, hehehe :D

fyi I was being sarcastic in my post, just so you know...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Indeed, which is why i dont get why so many people are so eager to run the newest os, which is essentially being a beta tester...

Same reason i run win10 and i always have updates delayed for as long as possible...

it also effects windows 10 users

I enjoy not being remotely hacked :)

I always go to control panel on a new install install and turn off any remote connection option. and I make sure its turned off in regular settings too. does that mean I could still be targeted with a remote connection or not? is there something I am missing?

who, what, when, where - do I need to snuggle/cuddle with to get listed on your will? :roll:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stop the insults.
Discuss the topic and not each other.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
You probably have a better chance getting hit by a car walking across the street. Or even having your healthcare provider's servers get breached.

The bad guys are more interested in breaking into servers run by Marriott, healthcare systems, universities, etc. They really don't care about much about Joe Consumer. Sure it would be a headache and an uncomfortable violation of your sense of security but unless you are doing something really, Really, REALLY stupid (which some people here at TPU are quite capable of), this probably isn't top priority.

The typical consumer user is better off changing weak old passwords than trying to install Patch Tuesday dumpster fire updates when they are released.

I'm not saying you should toss caution out the window. But in the big scheme of things, religiously installing Microsoft's trash on the second Tuesday of every month isn't really the best idea in 2024 (based on the frequency of busted KBs).
I think a home user's security is pretty much covered by not clicking on suspicious links, Facebook ads (an ad blocker is a must), and successfully identifying and not replying to phishing emails. I extend that by storing critical data on several separate drives that are not connected to my PC. There is not a single person on earth who could hack the hard drives sitting on my shelf without plugging them into something first.

I see. So what's your IP address again? :D

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
We've come to expect to be beta testers for every new Windows and the feature updates that follow. We know something is bound to break, and hope that the issues will be small and mostly cosmetic.

Yet we trust Microsoft's security updates to be industrial quality, thoroughly tested products, made by top class software designers and developers, and not opening any new security holes.

Isn't that somewhat irrational?
No, what's honestly irrational is expecting that the alternative is any better: that old software will be safe.

Trust is earned and Microsoft is squandering far faster than they are earning it these days.
I agree, which is why I went Linux some time ago. But I wouldn't run an old unsupported distro either (and yes, there are perfectly valid reasons to stick with windows as well).

P.S., don't forget to uncheck xzutils when you install Linux! Good fun!!
That'll break your whole distro. How about we just use the last stable package, like 99% of distros did all along?

That makes zero sense. This topic is about a broken Patch Tuesday update that is borking VPN
I was referring to whole build lifecycles being used out of support. Curating patches like this is fine, even necessary on windows, honestly.

Last edited:
System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
No, what's honestly irrational is expecting that the alternative is any better: that old software will be safe.

I agree, which is why I went Linux some time ago. But I wouldn't run an old unsupported distro either (and yes, there are perfectly valid reasons to stick with windows as well).

That'll break your whole distro. How about we just use the last stable package, like 99% of distros did all along?

I was referring to whole build lifecycles being used out of support. Curating patches like this is fine, even necessary on windows, honestly.
yep same here got really tired of windows bs and bloat and instability..

There is legitimate M$ app that can show/hide updates from listing and not bother you anymore :)
Here are the steps:

1. If the update is being automatically installed, you can temporarily disable automatic updating to prevent the update from being automatically installed.

2. If this is an unwanted installed Windows Update, then uninstall the update.

3. If this is an unwanted driver that was installed via Windows Update but cannot be uninstalled using step 2 above, then uninstall the driver in Device Manager.

4. Download the wushowhide.diagcab file from the KB3073930 webpage at Microsoft for the Show or hide updates troubleshooter package. or use ZIP from TenForum Download

5. Save the wushowhide.diagcab(or zip) file to your desktop and extract the wushowhide.diagcab file in case you downloaded ZIP.

6. Double click/tap on the extracted wushowhide.diagcab file to open it, and click/tap on Advanced. (see screenshot below)

If you like, you can save this .cab file to where you like, and create a shortcut to add to All apps or where you like for easy usage.

Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10-windows_10_show_or_hide_updates-1.png

7. Check the Apply repairs automatically box, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10-windows_10_show_or_hide_updates-2.png

8. When it's finished detecting problems, click/tap on the Hide updates option. (see screenshot below)

Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10-windows_10_show_or_hide_updates-3.png

9. Check the box of any available updates that you want to hide, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10-windows_10_hide_updates-1.png

10. The selected updates are now hidden. Click/tap on Close when finished. (see screenshot below)

Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10-windows_10_hide_updates-2.png

11. If you like, you can enable automatic updating again.

Enjoy your selectable updates.