• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alphacool CORE 1 CPU block - bulging with danger of splitting?

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
I am sorry I was not able to measure the thickness of the materiel left under the water channel cut, I bet it is less than half millimeter thick, and it is compromised metal, you are OPENING A CUT, you are creating a desired shape of the base by DEFORMING and STRESSING the metal.

I would like to measure the thickness of the remaining metal somehow...
Perhaps...

Because I like to draw and getting punchy on a Friday due to the warm weather...

1714765688203.png

Last edited:
System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory Corsair 3600mhz something die cl18 at 4000mhz
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Antec 850w Continous Power Series (since 2009)
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce. Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
Perhaps...

Because I like to draw and getting punchy on a Friday due to the warm weather...

View attachment 346140
That's an awesome drawing!! Professional even!!

I gave guy a formula for mounting pressure. He's thinking the IHS plate warps in the other thread.

This thread the block is bending to the point it splits.

The ink method is showing thousands of an inch at best.

This logical measurement process will likely be ignored as well.

All this on a cheap ass water block.

Why not do some real measurements with a HeatKiller IV or something. Maybe it'll bend, in a 10 ton press .... I dunno.

Perhaps...

View attachment 346140
The calipers can do the math for you!

I thought I have no usable material, but I managed to find some thin metal sheet (80 microns)! *** NEVER THROW AWAY ANYTHING ***

alph23.jpg

The main water channels have between 0,44 and 0,48 mm of metal remaining.

I have problems shoving the sheet in the longitudial cuts, in which I am interested, because there are burrs in the channels, plated over! So far it seems that these cuts are shallower, which would be a good thing, there may be 0,88 mm remaining.

I wonder what is the reason for the teeth bending, you can clearly see 8 rows bent. As I mentioned already, it was like this from the beginning.

Last edited:
System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
That's an awesome drawing!! Professional even!!

I gave guy a formula for mounting pressure. He's thinking the IHS plate warps in the other thread.

This thread the block is bending to the point it splits.

The ink method is showing thousands of an inch at best.

This logical measurement process will likely be ignored as well.

All this on a cheap ass water block.

Why not do some real measurements with a HeatKiller IV or something. Maybe it'll bend, in a 10 ton press .... I dunno.

I would not call a £90 block cheap ass, there are some cheaper HK ones i reckon. I had both a HK 4 pro, and this block, guess which was better.......The core 1. Not bad for a cheap ass block

View attachment 345906

Have you noticed that machining boo-boo - circled? What does it tell you?
I must correct myself, I was commenting what I saw in the photo without really checking the block itself, the machining is not that bad, this time the photo and the lighting made it look much worse than it really is.

I just measured it - what appears in the photo to be a huge step between those milling bit tracks is only 0,02 mm high.

Last edited:
System Name The Dark side of the room
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 Unify
Cooling Custom loop watercooling (Bykski CPU-XPR-POM-M-V2, Alphacool Eisblock GPX, Freezemod PU-PWM5B18W)
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3600 CL16 (4 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK 319 Radeon RX 6700 XT
Storage 1 x Kingston KC3000 1024GB + 2 x Kingston NV2 2TB
Display(s) LG 34WP65C Ultrawide 3440x1440 @ 160Hz freesync premium
Case Thermaltake Core P90 TG
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek® ALC1220 with Logitech Z906
Power Supply MSI MAG A850GF 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Trust Asta GTX 865
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores It's a form of exhibitionism...;-), but fun Software programs just have to run nicely....
Did it never come up to you that the Alphacool block performs so good because of it's minimal thickness of the cold plate? Due to the elastic deformation of the soft copper in combination with the right mounting pressure the cold plate actually 'adjusts' itself to the shape of the IHS bulge and that could be the intended effect by the Alphacool engineers as in maximum contact. Minimum thickness gives the best performance (shortest travel distance of heat to the heat transfer medium) and most likely the rubber insert is exactely the thickness it should be to support the cold plate where it needs it. Only design trade off I could see here is a flow reduction, but with the published test results this seems to be neglectible.

English is not my native tonque, but you mentioned compromised metal. I have no idea what you ment with that but, a small bit of plastic deformation (in contradiction of plastic deformation like skiving) does not alter the crystaline structure of the metal and hardly delivers any stress to initiate a crack especially to a metal as copper with its ductile properties. In this case it is a no brainer that we talk about a static situation, not a dynamic one.

I appreciate your curiousity and eagerness in trying to improve a good product, but your assumptions are lacked by any technical substiantation or misinterpretion of physic laws.

Bottom line, if in your case the block doesn't perform up to standard, it is more likely a human error (TIM & mounting) than a design flaw.

I bet the engineers in Alphacool will be jumping up and down and shrieking with joy like apes in the ZOO when they get their bananas, after they find out, that they can improve their product even more... :D
Once you start realising that you surely owe these guys apologies, as I think this remark is not TPU worthy.

Did it never come up to you that the Alphacool block performs so good because of it's minimal thickness of the cold plate? Due to the elastic deformation of the soft copper in combination with the right mounting pressure the cold plate actually 'adjusts' itself to the shape of the IHS bulge and that could be the intended effect by the Alphacool engineers as in maximum contact.
I DEMONSTRATED that the block has a poor contact with my CPU, which is bulged out due to the mounting frame, and it has a good contact only when I put a thinner insert in it and make it way flatter. The paste imprints shots are the proof. BTW I produced another set of these shots when I performed the test with a large radiator and they just looked the same as before, so I did not post them.

Once you start realising that you surely owe these guys apologies, as I think this remark is not TPU worthy.
I stand by my statement that the product can be still improved (and that engineers should be striving to improve their products):

1) A version which is flat for people with flat or bulging out CPUs can be made, with less mechanical strain on the base of the block.
2) I am convinced that the water flow inside the block can be improved, including the cuts
3) I have no idea why are the screws so loose in the aluminum top
4) I have no idea why are 8 rows of the teeth inside the block bent

BTW I am sorry if the scene I envisioned when I was thinking about a way to illustrate an extreme joy and excitement does not satisfy you, but I am not a Nobel price winner in literature, you know...

Last edited:
Cooling Custom loop watercooling (Bykski CPU-XPR-POM-M-V2, Alphacool Eisblock GPX, Freezemod PU-PWM5B18W)
Mouse Generic
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores It's a form of exhibitionism...;-), but fun Software programs just have to run nicely....
I DEMONSTRATED that the block has a poor contact with my CPU, which is bulged out due to the mounting frame, and it has a good contact only when I put a thinner insert in it and make it way flatter. The paste imprints shots are the proof. BTW I produced another set of these shots when I performed the test with a large radiator and they just looked the same as before, so I did not post them.

I stand by my statement that the product can be still improved (and that engineers should be striving to improve their products):

1) A version which is flat for people with flat or bulging out CPUs can be made, with less mechanical strain on the base of the block.
2) I am convinced that the water flow inside the block can be improved, including the cuts
3) I have no idea why are the screws so loose in the aluminum top
4) I have no idea why are 8 rows of the teeth inside the block bent

BTW I am sorry if the scene I envisioned when I was thinking about a way to illustrate an extreme joy and excitement does not satisfy you, but I am not a Nobel price winner in literature, you know...
I’m sorry you see things that way and common sense has no chance of penetrating your mental armor.

In my personal vision you only demonstrated a doubtful and uncontrolled executed test method with some visual indicators. The paste imprints in my opinion are completely useless because there are way too many variables of which you have no control or at least shown that you use reproducible and measured parameters for each test.
Your observations are translated in at least remarkable bold statements, which makes one wonder on the decision-making process inside your mind.
Due to your lack of empathy towards technological processes, physic laws and how things work you have a developed a rather amusing way of looking at things and forming of conclusions. This has not gone unnoticed in this and your ink thread.
Not a bad thing, as we need humor every day, but I (and many with me I suspect) wonder if you will ever see the light :rolleyes:.

I would take this opportunity to just warn newbies, in threads like this just read for amusement, don’t believe everything you see on a tech site as truth. It could cost you dearly on hardware failures that can be prevented. :lovetpu:

The fact that you are firmly convinced of your opinion being the only right one and your interpretations are some kind of proof, do make me wonder about the remark of another forum member (what I considered a joke) the Dunning-Kruger effect in action may actually be justified.

The only proof you delivered is that you stand out of the mass and have a unique way of things......

System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory Corsair 3600mhz something die cl18 at 4000mhz
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Antec 850w Continous Power Series (since 2009)
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce. Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
I would not call a £90 block cheap ass, there are some cheaper HK ones i reckon. I had both a HK 4 pro, and this block, guess which was better.......The core 1. Not bad for a cheap ass block
I was being more of a smart ass there. Like saying an HKIV would bend and break as well, deaming it cheap. Shitty. Weak. Bendable and breakable.

Dudes last post has nothing to do with the block bending. He derails his own topic.

Page 1 question 1
Block danger of splitting?
Answer 1 - No.

End of thread. Not sure how hard that is to figure out for this guy.....

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I found a plastic blister pack for RAM kit and cut an insert from it. It is 0,37 mm thick, the original rubber sheet is 0,64 mm.

The horrible bulge is gone. It seems that the middle of the base has now sufficient support (SUFFICIENT IN COMPARISON TO COMPLETELY REMOVING THE INSERT, as I did before), you can see a tiny amount of bulging still left there. I hope I will be able to build the loop again to compare the performance and paste imprints over the weekend.

View attachment 345261
If you're happy with that, then fine.

You seem to be worried about the structural stiffness of the base which doesn't actually need structural stiffness, it's not a load-bearing part. If this DIY change puts your mind at ease then it was effort well spent.

As for the block being a bomb, your tubing and compression-fitting O-ring seals will fail at an order of magnitude (or two) lower pressure. Unless you're going to make a hardline loop and solder every joint, the block will never be the weakest part of your loop; Not even close.

Reported incidents on the internet of someone exploding their CPU block: 0
Reported incidents of O-rings failing in loops that have overheated and boiled: 0h ho ho, plenty of good reads on OC forums and reddit if you have time to kill....

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
At the least, OP does a great job of keeping the forum entertained with his engineering catastrophies and conspiracy theories.

... The paste imprints in my opinion are completely useless ...
People check this way how their cooler/block sits on the CPU, there is really no other commonly available way. So what you said is as far from reality as can be.

I carefully photographed the imprints in similar lighting conditions and everybody can draw their own conclusions from them.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Mouse Logitech M575
The calipers can do the math for you!

I thought I have no usable material, but I managed to find some thin metal sheet (80 microns)! *** NEVER THROW AWAY ANYTHING ***

View attachment 346205

The main water channels have between 0,44 and 0,48 mm of metal remaining.

I have problems shoving the sheet in the longitudial cuts, in which I am interested, because there are burrs in the channels, plated over! So far it seems that these cuts are shallower, which would be a good thing, there may be 0,88 mm remaining.

I wonder what is the reason for the teeth bending, you can clearly see 8 rows bent. As I mentioned already, it was like this from the beginning.
Nice. It's a comforting thought to know my diagram was effective. Thanks for giving it a try.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Stop feeding this delusion.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
Stop feeding this delusion.
Maybe I misunderstand your comment but the OP should now realize though practical measurement the metal in a CPU block isn't in danger of splitting or exploding and never was.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Maybe I misunderstand your comment but the OP should now realize though practical measurement the metal in a CPU block isn't in danger of splitting or exploding and never was.
Has he? This thread has gone on for four pages man. Shit like this is just made up in his mind, that's high levels of delusion.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
Has he? This thread has gone on for four pages man. Shit like this is just made up in his mind, that's high levels of delusion.
All I can say is I can draw no diagram that answers that question.

Mouse Generic
Software Windows 11 pro
I think I’ll do a final attempt to give some direct answers on your basic questions from my point of view without technical explanations, hoping you will be open to be educated.

Alphacool CORE 1 CPU block - bulging with danger of splitting?

Absolutely not, as already explained for various reasons by numerous forum members with a plethora of knowledge on this subject (unless Elvis is still alive :fear:).

Regarding the thermal paste imprint fetish, this only matters if you experience cooling problems than it could be an influencing factor. If so, 99.9% of the cases it’s due to improper TIM application and mounting pressure or a combination thereof, which is the human factor not a design flaw.

So checking thermal paste imprints just for finding a problem if there isn’t any, seems like a waste of time which you could better use to study the basics of thermal dynamics as well as how and why the pro’s test the way they do it.
Get the helicopter view to understand a cooling system as a whole, instead of zooming in on a small aspect with marginal impact on the heat transfer capacity and efficiency and treating it as a world changing dilemma.

With this you’ll mature your knowledge on the subject and may gain credibility in future posts, instead of posting embarrassing conclusions which will haunt you until the end of days.

If you by experimenting improve one of the best performing cooling blocks, cudo’s and you’re in title to show off the results.
But please, refrain from insulting design engineers, they could most likely do even much better than you but are bound to companies commercial interests and liabilities before finalizing a product for launch.

Happy Birthday Wtf GIF by Piñata Farms: The Meme App

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
do make me wonder about the remark of another forum member (what I considered a joke) the Dunning-Kruger effect in action may actually be justified.
It was not a joke, nor intended as such. I do not suffer fools gladly, as my frequent suspensions from this forum attest to.

If you by experimenting improve one of the best performing cooling blocks, cudo’s and you’re in title to show off the results.
But please, refrain from insulting design engineers
I never insulted anybody.

Improving products is not my job.

I as an owner of the product am free to inspect the product, express opinions about it a test it how I want.

It would be much better if you stopped discussing my person, but instead offered help and constructive information, for example:

I already mentioned that testing different slots without proper matching water guides is problematic. Can you make such guides and send them to me?

I have difficulty finding plastic sheets of different thickness and cutting them. Can you provide information about what plastic or rubber material is good for this purpose, where to get it and how to cut it?

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Software Windows 10 Pro
I never insulted anybody.

Improving products is not my job.

I as an owner of the product am free to inspect the product, express opinions about it a test it how I want.

It would be much better if you stopped discussing my person, but instead offered help and constructive information, for example:

I already mentioned that testing different slots without proper matching water guides is problematic. Can you make such guides and send them to me?

I have difficulty finding plastic sheets of different thickness and cutting them. Can you provide information about what plastic or rubber material is good for this purpose, where to get it and how to cut it?

When i first got mine, it had the same thick black seal in it, i mentioned it on the forum, and got sent a new one, which is white.
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG

When i first got mine, it had the same thick black seal in it, i mentioned it on the forum, and got sent a new one, which is white.
View attachment 346325View attachment 346326
That is interesting, and is this insert less thick than the black rubber one?

I asked Alphacool, if they have less thick inserts and got answer:

"I am sorry but we don´t offer any customized products in such low quantity." (Tim L. Alphacool)

Perhaps they stopped offering any extra inserts?

Last edited:
System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Case Corsair 7000D
Software Windows 10 Pro
That is interesting, and is this insert less thick than the black rubber one?

I asked Alphacool, if they have less thick inserts and got answer, that

"I am sorry but we don´t offer any customized products in such low quantity." (Tim L. Alphacool)

Perhaps they stopped offering any extra inserts?

I don't think it was extra, mine was i think a rev 1 and the black rubber seal was not imo very good, it was too stretchy and was not easy to refit after a strip/clean. i think all new core 1 will come with this white/clear seal now.

That is weird, I got the block with the black insert directly from Alphacool at the end of march, how can I tell what version of the block did I get?

My package looks like this:
pack1.jpg
pack2.jpg
pack3.jpg

I got the mark caused by removed sticker on the box, bubbles under the protection foil on the block, scuffs on the back plate and bent teeth inside the block.

Before I thought I might have gotten a lemon, now it seems I even got an old version of the lemon. :(

Last edited: