• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need advice for UPS that will be use only for bios updates

brownieland

Hi, I'm looking to get a ups but I don't wanna spend so much money atm so I want something that will give enough time to do a bios update and for that purpose alone.
Any recommendations on wattage ?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Nope.

Why? Because you told us absolutely nothing about your computer. Do you have monster power hogs for a CPU and graphics, a bunch of drives, RAM sticks that draws 700+ watts?

Or do you have a budget office machine that maybe draws 150W when pushed?

Please fill out your TPU System Specs so we know what we are dealing with.

brownieland

Nope.

Why? Because you told us absolutely nothing about your computer. Do you have monster power hogs for a CPU and graphics, a bunch of drives, RAM sticks that draws 700+ watts?

Or do you have a budget office machine that maybe draws 150W when pushed?

Please fill out your TPU System Specs so we know what we are dealing with.
alright
ryzen 7800x3d
rtx 4070
2x16gb 6000mhz expo ram
1 hdd, 2 m.2
750w psu
but as i said the purpose of this UPS its gonna be used only for bios updating and nothing more, no regular usage.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
but as i said the purpose of this UPS its gonna be used only for bios updating and nothing more, no regular usage.
I understand that. But note that fact does not change anything in terms of the capacity needed for the UPS. It still needs to support the connected equipment.

Note that UPS are typically rated in volt/amps (VA).

In theory, you should get an UPS that will support the power supply (supplies) connected to it. But it is highly unlikely your components will ever max out the demand on your supply as you most likely could easily get away with a 500W PSU (according to this calculation). Therefore, I recommend a 750 to 800VA UPS.

For the record, in the nearly 40 years I've been updating BIOS firmware, I have only had it fail catastrophically twice and each was over 35 years ago. The first was when I foolishly did this during a thunderstorm and we lost power. The second was when a coworker tripped over the power cord and yanked it out of the wall. :(

Since then, I ALWAYS make sure I have the computer supported by a good UPS with AVR when updating the BIOS. So kudos to you for doing the same! :toast:

That said, not sure why you insist this will only be for BIOS updating. I always recommend all computers be supported by a quality UPS with AVR 24/7/365. Understand it is the AVR (automatic voltage regulation) feature that makes a good UPS with AVR so important. Backup power during an outage is just a minor bonus feature. Note a surge and spike protector is little more than a fancy and expensive extension cord as they do nothing for low voltage events like dips (opposite of spikes), sags (opposite of surges) or brownouts (long duration sags). And for excessive surges and spikes, they simply cut power (IF working properly), crashing your computer - never good.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Saving the UPS for BIOS updates only makes zero sense.

The most valuable thing on your PC is your data, not the BIOS. Your data is ultimately what the UPS is there to protect.

How long does a BIOS update take? Five minutes? The UPS is better off running as well the other 364 days 23 hours 55 minutes in the year.

Last edited:

Magician

I recently picked up an Eaton 3S 850 for similar purposes (BIOS only). It was about £120 GBP if memory serves correctly, and it's functioned fairly well so far. Has higher capacity than other UPS's in its price range, and hasn't put a foot wrong in the 6 weeks of ownership.

A product worth looking into rather than a straight-up recommendation (due to my short time with it).

brownieland

I understand that. But note that fact does not change anything in terms of the capacity needed for the UPS. It still needs to support the connected equipment.

Note that UPS are typically rated in volt/amps (VA).

In theory, you should get an UPS that will support the power supply (supplies) connected to it. But it is highly unlikely your components will ever max out the demand on your supply as you most likely could easily get away with a 500W PSU (according to this calculation). Therefore, I recommend a 750 to 800VA UPS.

For the record, in the nearly 40 years I've been updating BIOS firmware, I have only had it fail catastrophically twice and each was over 35 years ago. The first was when I foolishly did this during a thunderstorm and we lost power. The second was when a coworker tripped over the power cord and yanked it out of the wall. :(

Since then, I ALWAYS make sure I have the computer supported by a good UPS with AVR when updating the BIOS. So kudos to you for doing the same! :toast:

That said, not sure why you insist this will only be for BIOS updating. I always recommend all computers be supported by a quality UPS with AVR 24/7/365. Understand it is the AVR (automatic voltage regulation) feature that makes a good UPS with AVR so important. Backup power during an outage is just a minor bonus feature. Note a surge and spike protector is little more than a fancy and expensive extension cord as they do nothing for low voltage events like dips (opposite of spikes), sags (opposite of surges) or brownouts (long duration sags). And for excessive surges and spikes, they simply cut power (IF working properly), crashing your computer - never good.
i understand what you saying same as the rest, but i literally will be using this for bios only.
i use voltage regulator device for general usage which has AVR and surge protection, but since you gave a "range" 750/800 VA and lets throw 1000VA, should be more than enough for that sole purpose.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
alright
ryzen 7800x3d
rtx 4070
2x16gb 6000mhz expo ram
1 hdd, 2 m.2
750w psu

At idle (which BIOS and BIOS flashing basically is), you're probably looking at somewhere between 60-90W from the wall. I have a similar setup and my idle draw from the UPS has been pretty constant from 3700X to 5900X to 5800X3D to 7800X3D.

Mine is a 1500VA and I get somewhere north of an hour of runtime if just idling with the power out - and that's including 1 1440p165Hz monitor also connected on UPS battery side (I mean, what good is a PC if you can't see at all what it's doing). You should be fine with a lower capacity unit.

Unless that other "voltage regulator device" is another UPS, this whole endeavour is really pointless. Just run the PC on the UPS on a day-to-day, it'll give you enough time to save and shut down.

Last edited:
System Name Vergil (I NEED MORE POWER)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A
Cooling EVGA CLC 280mm
Memory 16GB G.SKILL Trident Royal Z Silver
Video Card(s) Radeon 6800XT Red Devil
Storage Plenty
Display(s) Acer RG241Y
Case Thermaltake VG200
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar STX -> JVC SP-402 / Sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply XPG 750W Core Reactor
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Red
What is exactly your motherboard model?

Some motherboards have a feature you don't even need a CPU installed to update the BIOS, and even if it fails updating and you can no longer boot, you can still flash the bios with a flashdrive - with the PC Powered OFF! So no fear of corruption or anything, if that's your sole fear

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
i understand what you saying same as the rest, but i literally will be using this for bios only.
i use voltage regulator device for general usage which has AVR and surge protection, but since you gave a "range" 750/800 VA and lets throw 1000VA, should be more than enough for that sole purpose.
Again this makes zero sense. Why would you just leave an UPS sitting around doing nothing when it could be at least protecting some of your valuable data? That's essentially what you're proposing by saving the UPS for "BIOS updates only" [sic].

This whole discussion is completely bizarre just like so many recent discussions.

At this point, I'm starting to wonder if we're just being played in some sort of bizarre learning exercise for some ultra ghetto AI model.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
At idle (which BIOS and BIOS flashing basically is), you're probably looking at somewhere between 60-90W from the wall.
I totally agree. Operations in the BIOS Setup Menu is probably one of, if not "thee" least demanding task we can ask of our computers. Such operations can easily be handled by the lowliest of CPUs and most basic of integrated graphics with the minimum amount of RAM and even without any drive attached consuming power.

BUT, to access the BIOS Setup Menu, you have to reboot. And in the OP's case, since he will be swapping in the UPS, he will be starting from an "Off" state and not a "Standby" state. So in fact, a complete "boot" rather than a "reboot". And he will most likely be doing that with his existing hardware, not that lowliest, power sipping HW.

A characteristic of almost all electronic devices is they demand significantly more power with first powered up compared to their power demands after they have started, stabilized, and settled into their idle state. This would include the power hungry graphics solutions which otherwise, would be consuming next to nothing when displaying the BIOS Setup Menu.

For this reason, my suggestion of ~750VA is based on the estimated size of the OP's PSU requirements (500W), and its initial power demands when that PSU first fires up. So I stand by that ~750VA suggestion.

System Name PC on since Aug 2019, 1st CPU R5 3600 + ASUS ROG RX580 8GB >> MSI Gaming X RX5700XT (Jan 2020)
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X (July 2022), 150W PPT limit, 79C temp limit, CO -9~14
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Rev1.0), BIOS F37h, AGESA V2 1.2.0.B
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm Rev7 with off center mount for Ryzen, TIM: Kryonaut
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo GTZN (July 2022) 3600MHz 1.42V CL16-16-16-16-32-48 1T, tRFC:288, B-die
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900XTX (Dec 2023) 314~465W (390W current) PowerLimit, 1060mV, Adrenalin v24.5.1
Storage Samsung NVMe: 980Pro 1TB(OS 2022), 970Pro 512GB(2019) / SATA-III: 850Pro 1TB(2015) 860Evo 1TB(2020)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34" QD-OLED curved (1800R), 3440x1440 144Hz (max 175Hz) HDR1000, VRR on
Case None... naked on desk
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 headset
Power Supply Corsair HX750i, 80+ Platinum, 93% (250~700W), modular, single/dual rail (switch)
Mouse Logitech MX Master (Gen1)
Keyboard Logitech G15 (Gen2) w/ LCDSirReal applet
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit (v23H2, OSB 22631.3155)
I understand the fear of loosing power during bios updates. That was mine too all the years and the dozens of updates I performed to my boards. Never bought a UPS tho just for that.

But that fear has vanished and made ups pointless for BIOS updates the day that good function was introduce…

BIOS FlashBack

edit: typo

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
But that fear has vanished and made ups pointless for BIOS updates the day that good function was introduce…
"Pointless"? Umm, I don't agree.

I do agree that the process of updating the BIOS has become significantly more robust and safe in recent years to where if corruption is detected, the system will typically [hopefully] back out of the update and roll back to the previous version. And most systems allow the user to create a backup of the BIOS before flashing so they can manually roll back, if something goes wrong.

And in some extreme cases, you can boot to a bootable thumb drive and re-flash the BIOS you download from the maker's site.

But the system is not fool proof. Everything I just mentioned requires some level system programming to be intact and not corrupt, or else the system could not "see" or recognize the thumb drive, or the backup BIOS file at all. Nor would it know how to use those devices and the coding on them to reflash the BIOS. This level of damage/corruption could still happen, even if a remote possibility, if power was lost right in the middle of a firmware update.

The result would be a useless brick or paperweight formally known as a motherboard. :(

So yes, odds are, no permanent damage will occur if you lose power during a BIOS update. But putting the system on a decent UPS during BIOS updates adds a nice level of "insurance" - just in case.

Never bought a UPS tho just for that.
I am with you on that one.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
If you are hardly ever going to use it, a 12V inverter might be an option, run off the car battery.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Hi, I'm looking to get a ups but I don't wanna spend so much money atm so I want something that will give enough time to do a bios update and for that purpose alone.
Why do you only need a UPS for BIOS updates? You should have your computer plugged into a UPS regardless. It's dumb to invest in a UPS for the sole purpose of updating your bios.

"lemme just spend $200 on a UPS for 2 min worth of updates" :rolleyes:

Last edited: