• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Laptop is having issues with PL2 and EDP OTHER

Übercharge

i5-10200H
GTX 1650 Ti
When i use my laptop normally everything is fine, when i boot up a graphically demanding game my GPU kicks in but my CPU power drops to 10-20 watts
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to do anything with cooling since temps are around 60-70-80 in game
Both CPU and GPU are being used:
Ekran görüntüsü 2024-05-03 110747.png

CPU under load:
Ekran görüntüsü 2024-05-03 110929.png

Idle:
Ekran görüntüsü 2024-05-03 110549.png

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Some laptops are poorly designed. They reduce available power to the CPU as soon as the Nvidia GPU becomes active. There is usually no fix for this limitation.

Post a screenshot of the TPL window. Check the MMIO Lock box and run a log file while playing for 15 minutes.

unclewebb

Your TPL settings look OK.

run a log file while playing for 15 minutes.

What laptop model do you have? Many laptops use an embedded controller EC to limit CPU power consumption and performance.

Übercharge

My Laptop Model is Monster Notebook Abra A5 v16.6:
i don't know if you will be able to find what you are looking for since the site is in TR
also here are my logs after 15 mins
(edit: it uses the HM470 Chipset if thats gonna be any help)

Attachments

• 2024-05-03.txt
    77.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

unclewebb

The start of the log file shows the CPU temperature reaching 100°C. That causes thermal throttling. After that goes on for a while, your computer then uses the embedded controller (EC) to enforce a much lower turbo power limit. This results in much more severe PL2 power limit throttling down to 15W or less. This is well below the Intel 45W TDP rating for the 10200H.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...10200h-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

A well designed laptop with a 45W TDP CPU should be able to run indefinitely at up to 45W without overheating. Have you ever opened up your laptop to clean it out? Try replacing the thermal paste with Honeywell PTM 7950. Do not use a popular thermal paste that works well on desktop CPUs. You need a good paste that is going to work well long term on your mobile CPU.

That is the only solution. You need much lower temperatures. If you can avoid any thermal throttling at 100°C, hopefully that will be enough to prevent the EC from forcing the CPU into low power mode. If this was a brand new laptop I would have suggested taking it back to the store immediately for a refund. It is probably a few years old now so you will have to work with what you have.

Übercharge

Yes, the laptop is around 5 years old by now, i usually open it up, clean it, repaste it like every 3-4 months or so, the thing i really don't understand is none of this happens in CS2 a graphically demanding game it's on high settings aswell but it runs perfectly fine without any problems. (edit: idk why or how but the cpu sometimes consumes around 57 watts usually when i open a program at it's first few seconds. i was thinking that if i limit it to only work at 45 watts, what was inted for it maybe overheating might be solved even so slightly. for the thermal paste i use it's a 5.15w/M-K TM-505, i don't know if it's good for this laptop but i use this one for now i'll see if i can get my hands to the ptm 7950)

Last edited:

unclewebb

if i limit it to only work at 45 watts
Your cooling system cannot handle 45W. With better paste it might be able to handle 45W but it cannot handle 45W with the paste you are using now. Trying to run the CPU at 45W will cause thermal throttling and this will likely trigger low power mode.

Try setting PL1 and PL2 to 40W and check both Clamp boxes in the Power Limit Controls section so these power limits are enforced. This will reduce maximum performance but it might help you avoid thermal throttling and low power mode. Run another log file with these settings.

unclewebb

The log file shows constant PL2 power limit throttling down to 10W or less. That reduces performance and makes your laptop unusable for playing games. I do not have any ideas to fix EC power limit throttling. It is terrible design.

Übercharge

i found a way to feed a bit more power into the cpu by downclocking the gpu with afterburner, and also when i limit the power around 30 watts cpu doesn't get hotter than 75 degrees. is that enough to trigger embedded controller?

unclewebb

cpu doesn't get hotter than 75 degrees. is that enough to trigger embedded controller?
I do not know what the exact trigger is for the embedded controller. Run a log file and watch for any power limit throttling, PL1 or PL2. If you see any signs of power limit throttling, what does the log file show for power consumption?

gilp456

As unclewebb mentioned, your system is thermal throttling at its Turbo Power Limit PL2. The system is reducing the power limit to protect the system. Reading through the description, there are a few likely causes.

1. Thermal Grease Contact/Amount with SoC (e.g. CPU) Die Area
2. Incorrect Contact Pressure
3. Fans Not Operating Correctly
4. Heat Exchanger (Fin Area) Obstructed saturating not allowing for efficient cooling

Since throttling happens within the first few seconds, I would guess that it is either #1 or #2 above. The Abra v16.6 was a proven design, and since you mentioned that you have removed and repasted several times, it may have inadvertently caused some wear/warping of the thermal solution over time. By design, while phase change thermal interface material (PTM 7950) may offer better thermal performance when just looking at thermal conductivity, laptop and mobile designs require designing for uniform contact pressure.

Thermal Interface Material performance is a function of application pressure. You will see degraded thermal performance over time if the design does not maintain uniform static pressure over the life/use of the device.

Again, Unclewebb's diagnosis is accurate however I would suggest you revisit the contact area, thermal interface application method, and ensure that your laptop thermal solution is actually making contact well with the SoC firstly.

Übercharge

the issue was somehow caused by windows.
i installed a fresh copy of windows and everything seems in order.
i'll post an update if anything changes