• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I am getting artifacting when I change Windows security settings. Is my GPU failing, or is this just a Windows issue?

GPU: Radeon RX 6800XT

CPU: RYZEN 5 7600

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WiFi

BIOS Version: 2413

RAM: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory

PSU: Super Flower Leadex V Pro 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply. This is a little over a year old.

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact TG Light Tint ATX Mid Tower Case

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10 EDUCATION 19045.4291

SSD/HDD: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Monitor: Gigabyte M28U

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12A Chromax Black

Sometimes, I get a weird artifacting visual bugt when I change my Windows 10 security settings. My PC freezes up for a second and then a line of something that looks like a QR code. It's all black and white. It looks staticky. Is this an issue? It only started happening fairly recently. It's worth noting that I'm getting a 0x80070643 error when I try to download tthe 2024-01 Security Updatre for WIndows 10 (KB5034441). Is this related to that error, and how do I fix that error too? Does this mean that my GPU is failing, or is this just a Windows issue?
I tried to follow these steps to fix the update failure, but it didn't help:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Does everything work fine in 3D? Games, benchmarks etc.

I'll run some benchmarks and see how they are. The benchmarks were fine a year ago, but a lot can change in a year so I'll run them again. The most intensive game I played recently was Helldivers 2. That seems mostly fine although the screen randomly flashes white for a second sometimes. I'm hoping that's jus Helldivers though since the game is really buggy. I get some object pop-in in DBD sometiems with objects right in front of me when I round a corner; is this artifacting, or is this just the game? I've been playing Rainbow Six Siege on Ultra settings, and that seems perfectly fine; that's definitely elss intensive than Helldivers though.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'll run some benchmarks and see how they are. The benchmarks were fine a year ago, but a lot can change in a year so I'll run them again. The most intensive game I played recently was Helldivers 2. That seems mostly fine although the screen randomly flashes white for a second sometimes. I'm hoping that's jus Helldivers though since the game is really buggy. I get some object pop-in in DBD sometiems with objects right in front of me when I round a corner; is this artifacting, or is this just the game? I've been playing Rainbow Six Siege on Ultra settings, and that seems perfectly fine; that's definitely elss intensive than Helldivers though.
Yeah, Siege is a piece of cake for anything even slightly modern high-end hardware.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Object pop in is never a GPU (hardware) problem, its the game, or drivers.

Artifacting from a GPU would be anything not directly 'related to the engine'. So warped geometry and other 'stuff happening in the simulation' generally isn't the GPU but the game (or drivers), but if you're looking at an odd color palette all of a sudden, have horizontal or vertical lines across the screen, and other stuff clearly unrelated to the stuff shown on screen, its possibly and sometimes, likely, the GPU. Sudden white screen would be a toss up...

System Name YACS amd
Processor 5800x,
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite.
Cooling bykski GPU, and CPU, syscooling p93x pump
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 stock timings.
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
IS your GPU, SAGGING?, is in level?… i say this because another person had somewhat the same problem, which after several pages of suggestions, the OP discovered that making it not sag, fixed the problem…

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
IS your GPU, SAGGING?, is in level?… i say this because another person had somewhat the same problem, which after several pages of suggestions, the OP discovered that making it not sag, fixed the problem…
Yeah, that could cause problems with solder joints as well.

Yeah, Siege is a piece of cake for anything even slightly modern high-end hardware.
That makes sense. I'll be running some 3DMark benchmarks soon to see how they go. Thanks!

Object pop in is never a GPU (hardware) problem, its the game, or drivers.

Artifacting from a GPU would be anything not directly 'related to the engine'. So warped geometry and other 'stuff happening in the simulation' generally isn't the GPU but the game (or drivers), but if you're looking at an odd color palette all of a sudden, have horizontal or vertical lines across the screen, and other stuff clearly unrelated to the stuff shown on screen, its possibly and sometimes, likely, the GPU. Sudden white screen would be a toss up...
It's good to hear that the DBD object pop-in issue at least isn't a GPU problem then. Aside from the sudden white screen, I've never noticed any odd color palettes, horizontal or vertical lines, or other unrelated things, so that's also good, at least. I'll look out for more of those though in case they happen at some point. Thanks!

It is definitely sagging a little bit. I'll buy one of those GPU braces to fix this sagging issue then. Thanks!

Yeah, that could cause problems with solder joints as well.
So, that's why sag could cause issues. I'll buy a GPU brace then. Thanks!

SL2

It is definitely sagging a little bit.
You can put the case on its side temporarily, making the card pointing straight up, and see if it changes anything. (Unless it messes up water cooling.. but you seem to be running air)
1713797778238.png

You can put the case on its side temporarily, making the card pointing straight up, and see if it changes anything. (Unless it messes up water cooling.. but you seem to be running air)
View attachment 344749
That is a great idea. I'll try that then and see if anything is different. I am running air as you said, so that shouldn't cause any issues. Thanks!

I ran one 3DMark Time Spy benchmark, and it seemed just fine. My score was like 300 points lower than my average score from a year, but I don't think that matters too much. Maybe it does though. At any rate, I didn't see any artifacting issues. I started seeing that white screen stuff in Helldivers after about an hour or two, so I suppose I'll have to leave some intensive things running for a while too to watch out for artifacting issues. Thanks!