• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noctua Introduces NH-L12Sx77 Low-profile CPU cooler

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Note because of the higher profile of the NH-L12Sx77 it will NOT fit in a Silverstone ML-09B. Having experienced the NH-L12S with 5950x it's a great cooler and included the AM4 offset mounts. I would expect NH-L12Sx77 to be just as satisfying. In fact I think NH-L12S did better than my NH-C14S probably because of the included fan and the AM4 offset mounting kit combined. With updraft configuration getting the heat out of the case is paramount so ducting any gap between the heatsink and vent is very helpful to exhaust without recirculating hot air back into the case.

DAMN, this is not an art piece, this is an engineered product designed to move heat from the CPU. Absence of any thermal performance specification is almost an insult.
Have you seen this? https://noctua.at/en/noctua-standardised-performance-rating

Quote: "By combining a measurement at a typical heat-load with a second measurement that tests the heatsinks maximum dissipation capacity, the NSPR offers a more balanced picture of heatsink performance than standard TDP ratings because it reflects both performance in standard use cases and under extreme conditions. Conducted at a stable ambient temperature of 22°C and with clearly specified, realistic parameters (typical heat-loads in the first test, target temperature of 60°C in the second test), it also avoids the pitfall of going into testing scenarios that are remote from real world applications. At the same time, like with any single-number rating, there is no way around the fact that NSPR is a simplification of the complex nature of heatsink performance. In particular, it cannot reflect the fact that cooling performance can differ between platforms, CPU series’ and even from CPU model to CPU model within a series. This is where our CPU-specific classification scheme of heatsink performance steps in."

Also, anyone who believes Noctua's press release saying that the 77mm height will make for optimal thermals without "exhausting into the case" in those sandwich cases is deluding themselves. A12x15 is a solid fan but like most every other fan, it's laughably incompetent on its own at handling exhaust duty thru the heatsink and out a vented panel. Other case fans *will* have to be doing the heavy lifting - it's still a downdraft cooler.
I agree. Unless your heatsink is right up against the edge of your exhaust vent some ducting is your huckleberry. The A12x15 manages to do it fairly well for Silverstone ML09b but other cases that have gaps won't fair as well exhausting without ducting.

I have NHL-12S on my HTPC inside silverstone Grandia 09b. Gets by for most tasks since the PC usually just sits idle or plays netflix, but I do see temps hit 100*C if I run cinebench or the kids play certain games. Need to mod a 240mm AIO into that unit soon. I dont think this new improved version will help much.
Have you tried ducting the flow? I don't see a top vent on that case like the ML-09B so ducting would take a bit more work.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've heard reports of some P12 5-pack fans resonating. I've bought hundreds of them and not heard it but the noise floor in the office isn't that low. The MAX fans are a different beast with very different build quality and motor hubs.

You're also right about warranty, for some reason I though Arctic were 7 year warranty but I'm mistaken, it's the same 6 years as Noctua.
Yeah, I've had numerous RMA's for Arctic fans. They are insanely good value for the money that they cost but pity that the quality is all over the place so far:
- 3 P8 has been replaced during 1st year of usage due fan resonation due faulty bearing
- P12 Max set came with a fan that does not obey PWM commands, it goes 100% speed when giving 56% or higher speed. And if you go lower than that, it gives you 60%. Somehow, when you go 20%, it goes 100%, it's goofy.
- S4028-6K 5 fan set came with 2 fans DoA, but Arctic replaced them immediately.

So far, I've changed all the P8 spots with Noctua, not because Noctua is the best, but it's more reliable since the spots are pain to swap. I'd love to get, use and recommend Arctic more but these are bit annoying findings. That doesn't mean that I will not use them, no, I will continue getting them and hoping that I've just gotten really bad batches with really good lottery.

TristanX76

I would go even further and say the only reason to buy a Noctua over the T30 is if you don't have the extra 5mm clearance for the T30.

I have NF-A14 fans in my rig and three phanteks T30s on a rad and the T30s move more air and are quieter while moving air through significantly more obstruction. If Phanteks had a 140mm version I'd replace all my Noctua fans instantly, it's a very noticeable upgrade. They've already replaced all the 120mm Noctua fans I had.
Arctic just launched P14 Max. Using It now and it is quite good.

I don't recommend Noctua these days. They are extremely overpriced for the performance it offers.