• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASML Could Stay in the Netherlands with Further Investments and Create 20,000 New Jobs

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Last month, we covered ASML's plans to leave the Netherlands after a crisis with the Dutch government that prevented skilled immigrants from entering and working inside ASML's facilities. However, it appears that ASML has managed to strike a potential deal with the Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte and his office about the company's plans to stay in the country. In an effort dubbed "Operation Beethoven," the Dutch government aimed to keep the tech giant in the country, with a deal now seemingly in place. AMSL's roadblocks and reasons for potentially leaving the Netherlands were difficulty in obtaining building permits, constraints on the electrical grid, transportation bottlenecks, and a need for supporting infrastructure like hospitals, schools, and housing. The most prominent of them was importing foreign labor in the form of highly skilled engineers and scientists needed to develop next-generation lithography machines.

According to the NLTimes, ASML now plans to potentially expand in the Brainport Industries Campus (BIC) in Eindhoven, with a creation of 20,000 new jobs in a 2.5 billion Euro investment from the Dutch government. "BIC is an interesting option for us, which we are now exploring together with the municipality of Eindhoven," noted ASML CFO Roger Dassen. Given that ASML needs to double its operations in the following decade to meet soaring demand, the company has many uncertainties. Questions of finding skilled immigrants and building infrastructure to support their needs remain the company's priority. In the Summer, the plan to support ASML's expansion will be voted in the Eindhoven City Council, which will decide the fate of ASML's stay in the Netherlands. An interesting comment from January from AMSL CEO Peter Wennik is, "Ultimately, we can only grow this company if there are enough qualified people. We prefer to do that here, but if we cannot get those people here, we will get those people in Eastern Europe or in Asia or in the United States. Then we will have to go there." The final decision still awaits.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Preventing the movement of skilled (or unskilled) workforce is the worst thing any modern government could do. Learn from the UK's example: ever since Brexit, things have been going down the toilet fast.

I'm glad the Dutch got ASML back on board.

Preventing the movement of skilled (or unskilled) workforce is the worst thing any modern government could do. Learn from the UK's example: ever since Brexit, things have been going down the toilet fast.

While I agree with that in principle, there are some large issues the country needs to resolve, the power grid is at it's limit, which takes time to resolve, there is a large housing shortage, which takes at least a decade to aleviate.

The later is mostly due to policy mistakes over the last decade and a half.
The former due to an influx of datacenters and electrification.

I’m sure it wasn’t all an excuse to wring out more subsidies and tax breaks

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Really funny watching some corpo pushing around during times of uncertainty regarding world's chip production.
Dutch goverment absolutely could easily stop any move (and yes, that would be lawful, let's not cosplay kindergarten) - I am not sure the carrot approach is always the best one.

Really funny watching some corpo pushing around during times of uncertainty regarding world's chip production.
Dutch goverment absolutely could easily stop any move (and yes, that would be lawful, let's not cosplay kindergarten) - I am not sure the carrot approach is always the best one.
In this case the main concern is red tape around expansion and hiring abroad not financial incentives. Those are quite legitimate concerns and not just a case of shopping for tax breaks.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
While I agree with that in principle, there are some large issues the country needs to resolve, the power grid is at it's limit, which takes time to resolve, there is a large housing shortage, which takes at least a decade to aleviate.

The later is mostly due to policy mistakes over the last decade and a half.
The former due to an influx of datacenters and electrification.
In the same vein, Dutch govt will need to solve the housing and power problem instead of letting "free market" dictate.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
How we can know they and their partners not giving tools for russians to make chips?

In the same vein, Dutch govt will need to solve the housing and power problem instead of letting "free market" dictate.
Housing problem is easy, move to country whit less people, lower economy, oil consumption on one person.

System Name YACS amd
Processor 5800x,
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite.
Cooling bykski GPU, and CPU, syscooling p93x pump
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 stock timings.
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
How we can know they and their partners not giving tools for russians to make chips?

Housing problem is easy, move to country whit less people, lower economy, oil consumption on one person.

why worry?, Russia already has the supplies to make Chips…
Russians have a lot of Potatoes, right?. why do they need a fab for Chips, all you need is oil and electricity for Chips… (in short supply i assume in some parts of Russia.)

regarding electricity, seriously, if Germany would just put a Nuclear plant on a Shut down coal mine, (a huge expanse of land, away from everybody) Everybody would have enough power… (ie, somebody has to aggre to using nuclear power, and share it…)

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Again…..start apprenticeship programs and start training students out of school.

Hakker

Again…..start apprenticeship programs and start training students out of school.
You mean what they have been doing since before it was even ASML? They work with Universities of Eindhoven, Delft, Twente, Aachen and Leuven and doing apprenticeship programs among other things. They kept going when Philips was selling division after division and ASML basically took anything of value from Philips when they started imploding. Yes Philips is a shell of the giant it used to be.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
ASML has seemingly made a deal with the prime minister. Is the city council meeting nothing more than a formality or...?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
You mean what they have been doing since before it was even ASML? They work with Universities of Eindhoven, Delft, Twente, Aachen and Leuven and doing apprenticeship programs among other things. They kept going when Philips was selling division after division and ASML basically took anything of value from Philips when they started imploding. Yes Philips is a shell of the giant it used to be.
More than that. Put up job postings for an "apprentice" as in a person with 0 experience, but underlying education, chemistry/physics/engineering for any student, fresh out of school or not.

When my dad got out of gr.12 he got on with a company as a machinist apprentice. I know it's hard to compare wages vs buying power, but his buying power then would be about $60/hr (cad) in today's terms as an apprentice. They were no shortages of people lined up at the door for a job.

I heard a lot of companies complaining about shortages of skilled labour, skilled trades, etc.

I think what they mean is the pool is very small depending on the wage they wish to pay. Post an engineering job for $200k/year at a starting rate, and I am willing to be you will have no shortage of applicants. Wages help drive where people look for jobs.

Example mining pays well, so if I can make $130k/yr with gr.12 and 0 responsibility and work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, it doesn't make much sense economically to go to university for 4 years at a cost of $50k/yr only to make $70k/yr.

I know not an apple to apples since I believe university is mainly free there vs North America? If the company is worldwide then really they should be able to pull people from the whole world and just transfer them with in the company (if the employee desires). As someone who previously was in mining, it's a career that you can end up all over the world while still being employed by one company.

As an example

Nothing about remuneration, time off, pensions, benefits, etc. And that list of requirements!

This career could be way better than mine, but without that info posted, I would not bother to even apply.

You mean best right?

regarding electricity, seriously, if Germany would just put a Nuclear plant on a Shut down coal mine, (a huge expanse of land, away from everybody) Everybody would have enough power… (ie, somebody has to aggre to using nuclear power, and share it…)

Nuclear plants need large bodies of water for cooling, usually coal mines are not near any rivers or water basins, probably to prevent contamination (mining is a very messy business)

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
You mean best right?
No. Ever since Brexit, the British economy has been in shambles, we've got whole industries lacking skilled workforce and funding. Logistics (warehousing), for example, has sunk to national minimum wage which makes it unattractive for any British person with half a brain cell. We have relied so heavily on European workers that there's a real struggle to find people wanting and being able to work, now that the doors from Europe are closed. Professionalism is dead, we're lucky to get any people who understand even the basics of the job. As far as I've heard, it's the same with the healthcare and transportation industries. Waiting lists for doctors have never been this long, and transport workers are almost always on strike over pay. Post-Brexit Britain is a joke.

Wow it's not that trivial. Highly complex issue and in Australia it has backfired spectacularly and despits a decade of so-called skilled migration our skill shortages never get plugged, our housing crisis is now extreme and we have huge social and infrastructure issues as the system buckles unsustainable and literally insane levels of immigration.
This has nothing to do with how a scumbag lowlife like Sunak is treating people and in Australia we taught the UK everything they need to know about being reprehensible arseholes, but that is a separate issue to sky-high immigration.

May be it is me, but let's take a step back and think about this. While every nation is trying to diversify chip production by onshoring fabs, the key company that makes the machines to produce cutting edge chips is only in Netherlands. Hmmm... I do wonder how effective is the diversification. If something happens in Netherlands, it will be catastrophic in the mid to long term.

In this case the main concern is red tape around expansion and hiring abroad not financial incentives. Those are quite legitimate concerns and not just a case of shopping for tax breaks.
And those aren’t in the hands of the Dutch government, as that will just bow to US pressure and EU rules.
so yes fishing for tax breaks it is.